Orissa Electricity Board
As its maiden venture, the company has set up two thermal power plants with a capacity of 210 MW each in the IB valley area of Jharsuguda District in the State of Orissa (Ib Thermal power Station) at a cost of Rs.11350 million. The locational advantage of the power plant lies in its close proximity to the coal mines as well as to the Hirakud reservoir. This gives the company the distinct advantage of low cost of Raw Material leading to low cost generation.
It has also undertaken the construction of seven Mini Hydel stations having a total capacity of 5075 kW as a technological demonstration.The entire generation from Ib Thermal Power Station is committed to the state transmission utility GRIDCO on the basis of a long term Power Purchase Agreement. Payment is secured through an Escrow Account and revolving Letter of Credit.
|Shareholder||Percentage||No. of Shares||Amount (In Rs.)|
|Govt. of Orissa||51||25,00,109||25,00,109,000|
|AES India Pvt. Ltd.||16.25||7,96,178||7,96,178,000|
|AES OPGC Holding (incorporated in Mauritius)||32.75||16,05,887||16,05,887,000|
|Financial Year||Gen(MU)||PLF(%)||Aux. Cons.(%)||Sp. Oil(Ml/Kwh)||Sp.Coal(Kg/Kwh)|
Consequent to the reform in power sector in Orissa, Orissa Hydro Power Corporation Ltd. (OHPC) was incorporated in 21 st April 1995 under the companies Act 1956. Its objective are:
- To acquire, establish, operate, maintain, renovate, modernize in the State of Orissa and else while hydro electric generating stations, thermal and nuclear electric generating stations and any other electric generating stations based on any non-conventional sources of energy.
- To carry on the business of purchasing, selling, importing, exporting, producing, trading, manufacturing or otherwise dealing in hydro electric power, thermal and nuclear electric power based on any non-conventional sources of energy.
- To study, investigate, collect information and data, review operations, plan, research, design, prepare feasibility reports, prepare project reports, diagnose operational difficulties and weaknesses and advise on the remedial measures to improve and modernize existing stations and facilitate and to undertake for and on behalf of others the setting up of hydro electric power plants, thermal and nuclear electric power plants and any other power plants based on any non-conventional source of energy.
- The objectives incidental or ancillary to the attainment of the main objects are to acquire business / companies for carrying on business of electric power, to acquire know-how, to carry on consultancy services in any field of activity in which it is engaged, to act as an entrepreneur on behalf of the Central or any State Govt.
- Started commercial operation from 01.04.2005 only as a Transmission Licensee. (a deemed Transmission Licensee under Section 14 of Electricity Act, 2003)
- Notified as the State Transmission Utility (STU) by the State Govt. and discharges the State Load Dispatch functions.
- Number of employees as on (10.05.2010) : 3145
Executives-759, Non-Executives – 2836
- Number of posts vacant as on 01.05.2009: 1782
Executives-845, Non-Executives- 937
- Number of Pensioners as on 01.05.2009: 6600
- Number of Grid S/S including switching stations – 95
- Length of EHT lines – 10,902.479 Ckt-Kms.
- Number of Bays – 1597(30th Oct 2010)
ORISSA POWER TRANSMISSION CORPORATION LIMITED (OPTCL), one of the largest Transmission Utility in the country was incorporated in March 2004 under the Companies Act, 1956 as a company wholly owned by the Government of Orissa to undertake the business of transmission and wheeling of electricity in the State. The registered office of the Company is situated at Bhubaneswar, the capital of the State of Orissa. Its projects and field units are spread all over the State.
OPTCL became fully opeartional with effect from 9th June 2005 consequent upon issue of Orissa Electricity Reform (Transfer of Transmission and Related Activities) Scheme, 2005 under the provisions of Electricity Act, 2003 and the Orissa Reforms Act, 1995 by the State Government for transfer and vesting of transmission related activities of GRIDCO with OPTCL. The Company has been designated as the State Transmission Utility in terms of Section 39 of the Electricity Act, 2003.
- Presently the Company is carrying on intra state transmission and wheeling of electricity under a license issued by the Orissa Electricity Regulatory Commission. The Company is also discharging the functions of State Load Despatch Centre. The Company owns Extra High Voltage Transmission system and operates about 9550.93 ckt kms of transmission lines at 400 kV, 220 kV, 132 kV levels and 81 nos. of substations with transformation capacity of MVA.
- The day-to-day affairs of the Company are managed by the Managing Director assisted by whole-time Functional Directors as per the advice of the Board of Directors constituted. They are in turn assisted by a team of dedicated and experienced professionals in the various fields.
- GRIDCO which was carrying on the business of Bulk Supply & Transmission w.e.f. 1.4.99 ceased to carry on transmission business w.e.f. 1.4.2005 as per GoO Notification dated 9.6.2005.
- GRIDCO is presently engaged in Bulk Purchase & Sale of Power to Discoms and sale of surplus power, if any.
- GRIDCO undertakes planning & co-ordination in regard to the electricity
requirement of the State.
- Average Peak Demand : 2500 MW.
- Average Energy Demand : 2000 MW.
Grid Corporation of Orissa Limited (GRIDCO) was incorporated on 20th April 1995 under the Companies Act, 1956 as a wholly owned Government of Orissa Undertaking. The Company obtained the Certificate of Commencement of Business on 6th July 1995.
GRIDCO carried on the business of transmission and bulk supply of electricity and other related activities under an exclusive license issued by Orissa Electricity Regulatory Commission. Consequent upon enactment of Electricity Act, 2003, the transmission related activities of the Company were transferred and vested with Orissa Power Transmission Corporation Limited, a wholly owned undertaking of the State Government through Orissa Electricity Reforms (Transfer of Transmission and Related Activities) Scheme, 2005 with effect from 09.06.2005. After separation, GRIDCO is presently engaged in business of bulk purchase and bulk sale of power to the four Distribution Companies inside the State and trading of surplus power through traders to promote exchange of power with neighbouring States in the country.
The registered office of the Company is situated at Janpath, Bhubaneswar. The day-to-day affairs of the Company is being managed by Chairman-cum-Managing Director who is assisted by Whole-time Directors under overall supervision of the Board of Directors. They are in turn assisted by a team of dedicated and experienced professionals in various fields.
In exercise of power under Section 22 of the Electricity Act 2003, the OERC has formulated a scheme for operation and management of CESCO’s utility on 8.9.06. As per the scheme, the name of CESCO’s Utility has been changed to Central Electricity Supply Utility of Orissa (in short CESU). The OERC vide its notification dated 16.9.06 has vested all the assets, rights, liabilities and the power of administration and general superintendence including control of finance and manpower of CESCO’s utility with CESU.
In view of the above, the Management Board of CESU in their 1st meeting held on 20.9.06 have decided to change the name of CESCO’s utility to CESU. All the sign boards, letter pad, files etc., be changed with the new name CESU in place of CESCO’s Utility. The Bank Account of CESCO’s utility also be changed to the name of Central Electricity Supply Utility of Orissa (CESU) with immediate effect.
North Eastern Electricity Supply Company of Orissa Limited (NESCO) was incorporated on 19.11.1997 under the Companies Act, 1956. It has taken over the Business of “ Distribution and Retail Supply of Electricity” in the North Eastern Zone of the Orissa of GRIDCO, comprising the Districts of Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar, Jajpur, and Bhadrak.
Pursuant to the Orissa Electricity Reforms Act 1995 and Orissa Electricity Reforms (Transfer of Assets, Liabilities, Proceedings and Personnel of GRIDCO to Distribution Companies) Rules 1998, in the year 1998 all the assets of GRIDCO pertaining to the distribution business and distribution undertaking in the North Eastern Zone of GRDICO was transferred to NESCO vide Orissa Gazette Notification Published vide S.r.No. 750/98 dated 26/11/1998 and NESCO started its business operation on and from that date.
Keeping in view the objectives of the power sector reform, the management of the Company has been handed over to BSES Ltd. (Now Reliance Energy Limited,), Mumbai on 01.04.1999, upon transfer of 51% shares hold by GRIDCO in the company in favour of BSES Ltd. through competitive bidding process.
Profile At A Glance:-
|Supply Area||28,000 Sq. Kms|
|Population Covered||Above 90 Lacs|
|No. of Districts||5|
|No. of Tahsils||36|
|No. of Admin Blocks||68|
|No. of Gram Panchayat||1430|
|No. of Villages||12131|
|No of Distribution Circle||4|
|No of Distribution Divisions||14|
|No of Distribution Sub Division||41|
|No of Distribution Section||141|
|No of GRF||2|
|No of Customer Care Center||1|
The Southern Electricity Supply Company Of Orissa Limited (SOUTHCO) was incorporated on 19-11-1997 under the Companies Act,1956 as a Public Limited Company. The Company started functioning with effect from 26-11-1998, under the distribution and retail supply license of GRIDCO, after notification in the official gazette by the Govt. of Orissa. SOUTHCO received the Distribution and Retail Supply license from Orissa Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) for distribution and retail supply of electricity in the Southern Orissa, consisting of districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Rayagada, Koraput, Phulabani, Kandhamal, Nawrangpur, Malkangiri, and Puri (some parts) with effect from 01-04-1999. By virtue of Power Sector reform in Orissa, SOUTHCO became a subsidiary of BSES Limited, Mumbai on 1st April, 1999 by acquisition of 51% of the shareholding of the Company by BSES Limited. The Company has authorised and paid up capital of Rs.37.66 crores.
At present, SOUTHCO operates in the geographical area covering 47,000 sq. kms. and provides electricity to about four lakhs consumers in its licensed area.
Western Electricity Supply Company of Orissa Limited (WESCO) was incorporated as a Public Limited Company on November19, 1997 to carry out the distribution and retail supply business of electricity in the entire western region of Orissa. The Company secured the Certificate of Commencement of business on 30.12.1997 and started functioning as a wholly owned subsidiary of Grid Corporation of Orissa Limited (GRIDCO), a Govt of Orissa power utility, from November 26, 1998 under latter’s Distribution and Retail Supply License. Subsequently, the Company obtained its own license for Retail Supply from Orissa Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) with effect from April 1, 1999. After privatisation of Distribution business under power sector reform process ,WESCO became a subsidiary of BSES Ltd , the premier Mumbai based Power Utility with acquisition 51 % majority share-holding.
The authorised and paid up capital of the Company is 48.65 crores . The licensed area of operation of the Company is 48,000 sq. km and covers nine revenue districts of Western Orissa namely, Sundargarh, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Deogarh, Bargarh, Sonepur, Bolangir, Nuapada and Kalahandi.
Consequent upon acquisition of BSES Ltd by Reliance India Ltd, WESCO becomes an associate company of the former(BSES). Since April 1st 2003 the company is an associate company of BSES Ltd.
The Commission is a statutory body comprising three members including the Chairman appointed by the State from among persons shortlisted by a Selection Committee in accordance with the procedure laid down in the OER Act, 1995. It is supported by a trained staff of about 20 officers appointed by the Commission.
The members of the Commission, known as Commissioners, are appointed from among persons of ability, having adequate knowledge or experience in dealing with the problems relating to engineering, economics, commerce, accountancy, law or administration.
The Commission is organised to work through 5 divisions namely Secretariat, Law, Engineering, Tariff and Administration. The Engineering Division deals with issue of licenses and all engineering matters excluding those related to tariff. The Tariff division handles all matters relating to tariff and economic and financial analysis. The Secretary to the Commission along with the Law Division handle the legal and quasi-judicial activities of the Commission. Administration Division is responsible for housekeeping activities of the Commission.
It has been the endeavour of the Commission to function in a modern office environment with emphasis on officer-oriented work and computerised work procedure. An efficient Local Area Network with state of the art P-IV computers and structured cabling reaches every officer.