Draft wind policy for 1200MW capacity addition in 3 years by Rajasthan
Authors: G.Vishnu and N.Jeyaram (Student NPTI (Power Management) 10th Batch)
The State Government of Rajasthan has published the draft for a comprehensive policy for generation of electricity from wind which offers solution to various problems faced by developers, power producers and utilities.
This Policy will be known as “Policy for Promoting Generation of Electricity from Wind,2011”.
Targets to be achieved under this policy
- Promote setting up of wind power plants of unlimited capacity for direct sale to Discoms of Rajasthan upto year 2011-12 on the preferential tariff determined by RERC.
- Promote setting up of wind power plants for direct sale to Discoms of Rajasthan on the tariff determined through competitive bidding process for the years 2012-13 onwards.
- The target to be met under the above category for the year 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 will be 400 MW for each year i.e 1200MW by 2015.
- The target after year 2014-15 will be determined by the State Government at a later stage and the selection of Developers/Power Producers under this category shall be through tariff based competitive bidding process.
- Promote wind power plants of unlimited capacity for captive use or sale to third party located within the State of Rajasthan at mutually agreed rates by the state.
- Power Producers to be allowed to set up Wind Power Plants of unlimited capacity for sale through RE (non-Solar) Certificate Mechanism. The power generated from these power projects shall be purchased by Discoms of Rajasthan at Pooled Cost of power purchase determined by the Commission from time to time.
- Power Producers are required to apply for accreditation to the State Agency and thereafter to Central Agency for registration and issuance of RE (Non-Solar) Certificate under REC mechanism as per order/regulations of appropriate Commission.
- Power Producers to sell RE (Non-Solar) Certificates as per the regulations/orders of the appropriate Commission.
The Discoms of Rajasthan will purchase the wind power generated even if the total quantum of power exceeds the Renewable Energy Purchase Obligations prescribed by RERC. In case of any shortfall in meeting the RPO after purchase of power, the Discoms of Rajasthan will purchase remaining quantity of power from the wind power plants selected through the bidding process or by acquiring Renewable Energy (Non-Solar) Certificate. The PPA will be executed between Discoms of Rajasthan and Power Producer on the preferential tariff determined by RERC upto the period 2011-12 and from the period 2012-13 onwards PPA will be executed between Discoms of Rajasthan and successful bidders as per the provisions of bid documents on the tariff arrived by the process of tariff-based bidding.
Rajasthan Renewable Energy Corporation(RREC) will be the nodal agency for single window clearance of the projects
Schedule for Project Capacity Completion
Up to 25 MW : 8 Months
Above 25 MW- 50 MW : 14 Months
Above 50MW – 75 MW : 18 Months
Above 75 MW – 100 MW : 22 Months
Above 100MW : 26 Months
Sharing of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) credit:
Sharing of Clean Development Mechanism (i.e. CDM) credit during the current Control Period, to be in the ratio 25:75 between distribution licensee and project developer respectively. Provided that the share of 25% obtained by the distribution licensee shall be fully passed on to the consumers. In case the distribution licensee itself is the project developer, then 75% to be retained by the distribution licensee and balance 25% shall be passed on to the consumers.