Kejriwal waives 10-month power bill default and theft, BJP calls it anarchy
In what officials said was a complete violation of the Electricity Act, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday announced exemption for people who had defaulted on electricity bills and withdrawal of cases against those booked for power theft since March 23 last year when he launched the AAP campaign against power discoms in the city.
No action would be taken against the defaulters and pilferers since they were “part of the andolan” and the amount due from them would be paid by the Delhi government, Kejriwal said. The regulator reacted cautiously, saying information from the office of the chief minister was still to reach them. “I will not comment on the legal aspect,” DERC chairperson P Sudhakar said. But Shakti Sinha, who was Delhi secretary for power and finance until August 2013, said Kejriwal’s announcement was “illegal as per the 2003 Electricity Act”.
“It has to be understood that power tariff can be brought down by the regulator after following a due process. There is the DERC for redressal of complaints. And then there are courts to settle disputes,” Sinha said. All electricity bills make it clear: “The connection shall be liable for disconnection on non-payment of all dues, including arrears of due dates, after notice as per Section 56-1 of the Electricity Act 2003.” Officials said that of the nearly 45 lakh connections in the city under three power distribution companies, an estimated 10,000-12,000 consumers have been defaulting on electricity dues “continuously” since March last year. Connections of those in the lowest consumption slab of 0-200 units have not been severed.
Source: Indian Express