Major PSU’s in Energy Sector:
- Type- State Owned Enterprise; Public Limited
- Founded- Nov 7,1975
- Head Quarter- Delhi, India
- Chairman & Managing Director- Arup Roy Chaudhary
- Revenue- Rs 50,188.52 crore (US $10.89 billion) (2009-10)
- Net Income- Rs 8,837.65 crore(US $ 1.92 billion) (2009-10)
- Employee- 25,944(2009)
NTPC Limited (Formerly National Thermal Power Corporation) is the largest state-owned power generating company in India. Forbes Global 2000 for 2009 ranked it 317th in the world. It is an Indian public sector company listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange although at present the Government of India holds 84.5%(after divestment the stake by Indian government on 19october2009) of its equity. With a current generating capacity of 31134 MW, NTPC has embarked on plans to become a 75,000 MW company by 2017. It was founded on November 7, 1975.
- Type - State Owned Enterprise; Public Limited
- Founded - 1975
- Head Quarter - Faridabad, India
- Chairman & Managing Director - S.K. Garg
- Net Income - Rs 2,090 crore (2009-2010)
- Authorised Capital - Rs150000 Million
- Energy Generated - 16960.45 MU
NHPC Limited (Formerly National Hydroelectric Power Corporation), A Govt. of India Enterprise, was incorporated in the year 1975 with an authorised capital of Rs. 2000 million and with an objective to plan, promote and organize an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects. Later on NHPC expanded its objects to include other sources of energy like Geothermal, Tidal, Wind etc.
- Type - State Owned Enterprise
- Founded - Sep’ 1987
- Head Quarter - Mumbai, India
- Chairman & Managing Director - Dr. S.K.Jain
- Net Income - Rs 416.41 crore (US $ 90.36 million)
The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) is a government-owned corporation of India based in Mumbai. One of the public sector undertakings, it is wholly owned by the Union Government and is responsible for the generation of nuclear power for electricity. NPCIL is administered by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), part of the Ministry of Science and Technology. NPCIL is the only power utility company in India which uses nuclear fuel sources.
- Type – Public Sector Undertaking, Government Owned (Mini Ratna)
- Head Quarter – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Chairman & M.D – A.R. Ansari
- Employee – 19115(2007)
Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited (NLC) is a government-owned lignite mining company in India. One of the public sector undertakings, the company is wholly owned by the Union Government (49 percent) and administered throughMinistry of Coal. NLC operates the largest open-pit lignite mines in India and mines some 24 million tonnes of lignite per year for fuel, with an installed capacity of 2490 MW of electricity per year. Of this, the origin state of Tamil Nadu consumes 1167 MW, with the neighboring states (Kerala, Karnataka, and Andra Pradesh) consuming most of the rest.
- Head Quarter - Kolkata
- Founded - July 7, 1948
- Chairman - Devendra Singh
The Damodar Valley Corporation, popularly known as DVC, is the first multipurpose river valley project of independent India. The corporation came into being on July 7, 1948 by an Act of theConstituent Assembly of India (Act No. XIV of 1948). It is modelled on the Tennessee Valley Authority of the USA. Jawaharlal Nehru, prime minister of India, Dr. B.C.Roy, chief minister of West Bengal and Sri Krishna Sinha, chief minister of Bihar, took personal interest to ensure early success of the project.